You know we are doomed when Redneck Day offends people

Apr 30, 2011
CLT
School's 'Redneck Day' sparks anger

Luci Scott, The Arizona Republic 11:37 p.m. EDT May 1, 2013
The event meant to build school spirit at Queen Creek High School instead has angered civil rights leaders in Arizona.

(Photo: Ben Corda, USA TODAY)
Story Highlights

• Idea was to spoof 'Duck Dynasty' TV show, school official says
  • One student wore Confederate flag
  • NAACP officials say event reinforces offensive stereotypes
PHOENIX -- When members of the student council at an Arizona high school organized a schoolwide "Redneck Day" and encouraged classmates to dress — and spoof — accordingly, they hoped to build school spirit leading up to prom week.
Instead, "Redneck Day" at Queen Creek High School has angered African-Americans and civil-rights leaders and touched off a debate about free speech, social stereotypes and good taste.
Tom Lindsey, superintendent of the Queen Creek Unified School District, said the only intent of Wednesday's event was to satirize the A&E reality TV show "Duck Dynasty," which follows a family of duck hunters and entrepreneurs from West Monroe, La.
But some students and their family members weren't amused. Among them: the Rev. Ozetta Kirby, pastor of Holy Trinity Community AME Church in Mesa and vice president of the East Valley chapter of the NAACP.
"I'm sitting here crying and praying," said Kirby, whose grandson Marcus Still is a 16-year-old junior at the school.
"This thing really got to Marcus," Kirby said. "When you're in 11th grade, that can break you down and make you feel at the bottom rung of the whole society, where everybody is being jubilant. No kid should have to go through that. We all know the connotation of 'redneck.' "
Most offensive to Kirby and others was that one student chose to wear a Confederate flag — for many a grim reminder of slavery and segregation.
"The Confederacy represents the horrible institution of slavery, and that is a direct attack on African-Americans," said Steve Montoya, a prominent civil-rights attorney in Phoenix.
The Rev. Oscar Tillman, president of the Maricopa County NAACP, who grew up in the 1940s in the South, said: "Our community knows what that flag represents. ... A school is supposed to be for education and showing people where we come from, our history, and to try not to go back to some things."
Lindsey said the student wearing the Confederate flag was pulled aside by an assistant principal and asked to change his clothes.
"It was no ill intent," Lindsey said.
The student, who is from a state where the flag is more prevalent, did not see a negative connotation, the superintendent said.
"It was explained to him that in Arizona, we look at it differently," Lindsey said, adding that Redneck Day was mostly uneventful.
"We apologize to any people who, because of the word (redneck), were offended," Lindsey said.
Maureen Costello, director of the Teaching Tolerance program at the Southern Poverty Law Center in Montgomery, Ala., said schools would do well to adopt the slogan of physicians: Do no harm.
"Do no harm to a student's sense of identity," she said. "Everyone should feel welcome."
Costello said she understands that Redneck Day was intended to bolster students' sense of feeling good about school but said "they've chosen an event that stereotypes an entire group of people, and under those circumstances, they should hardly be surprised that they also offend people."
She said a student wearing a Confederate flag could easily argue that he's "playing a role, and he doesn't mean it."
"But the flag is a very potent symbol," Costello said, "and the school facilitated that."
Costello said the school should do two things: "Open up a dialogue about why this was so offensive to some people, and second, to really start thinking through the kinds of events they sponsor to build school spirit."
She added that probably some students' families can be traced to the Appalachians, and "maybe they don't feel so great about being called rednecks."
Costello predicted that some who objected will be told they are too sensitive.
"I think every one of us hates it when we're told, 'Don't feel that way,'" she said. "But they are honestly offended by it. It reflects a very bad chapter in their personal or cultural experience. That needs to be acknowledged, discussed and accepted."
For his part, attorney Montoya said students have a First Amendment right to wear a Confederate flag and engage in free speech.
But he warned that the line between free speech and harassment is easily breached and said a district could be held liable for allowing a racially hostile education environment.
"Those schools are paid for by everyone, including African-Americans and other minorities, and they have the right to attend school free of harassment," Montoya said.
Montoya won a case more than a decade ago when he sued Tempe Union High School District on behalf of an African-American girl who had asked to read a text other than "Huckleberry Finn," which contains numerous instances of a racial slur.
Her request was denied, and students in Tempe began to use that book as a vehicle to racially harass the girl, Montoya said.
The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled in favor of Montoya's client. He said it was the first case in the country to recognize a claim under federal civil-rights laws for a racially hostile educational environment.
"I wish the administrators good luck," Montoya said of Queen Creek school officials. "They have tough jobs."
This week in Kent, Wash., Sunnycrest Elementary School had scheduled "White Trash Wednesday," in which barbecue would be served on trash-can lids. The event was canceled Tuesday after parents objected.

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator
Jul 28, 2005
New York
I'm so glad I grew up when I did. You know, before they got uppity.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
We all know the connotation of 'redneck.
And what the fuck is that?

Most offensive to Kirby and others was that one student chose to wear a Confederate flag — for many a grim reminder of slavery and segregation.
1) No one remembers slavery.

2) Isn't that the problem of the people who associate it with those things?

"The Confederacy represents the horrible institution of slavery, and that is a direct attack on African-Americans," said Steve Montoya, a prominent civil-rights attorney in Phoenix.
1) That's not what the confederacy represents, at least solely.

2) Directly attacking African-Americans would be a direct attack on them. Wearing a flag is not.

The Rev. Oscar Tillman, president of the Maricopa County NAACP, who grew up in the 1940s in the South, said: "Our community knows what that flag represents. ... A school is supposed to be for education and showing people where we come from, our history[...]
...for example, the Confederacy?!

whiskeyguy

Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
And another thing... black people are now getting outraged over possibly derogatory terms for white people?

Haeder

South Dakota
Mar 30, 2005
"This thing really got to Marcus," Kirby said. "When you're in 11th grade, that can break you down and make you feel at the bottom rung of the whole society, where everybody is being jubilant. No kid should have to go through that. We all know the connotation of 'redneck'."

No. Cockface. We don't all know the connotation of 'redneck'. Unfortunately, Kirby did not elaborate on the connotation of redneck. But we are all expected to know the connotation of redneck because certain stereotypes are just fine and dandy.

More importantly.

Karl Malone is pissed......because his high school did not have redneck day.

Feb 5, 2003
With a stranger
No. Cockface. We don't all know the connotation of 'redneck'. Unfortunately, Kirby did not elaborate on the connotation of redneck. But we are all expected to know the connotation of redneck because certain stereotypes are just fine and dandy.

More importantly.

Karl Malone is pissed......because his high school did not have redneck day.

I'm glad you posted the picture he took BEFORE he violated that ram.

somnarium

deftones or somefuckin' body
Aug 24, 2012
We had a redneck day. Kids drove their tractors to school. It really sucked where I grew up.

whiskeyguy

Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
We had a redneck day. Kids drove their tractors to school. It really sucked where I grew up.
Redneck day is pretty much every day at my school. Ag classes were easily the most popular electives.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
Rednecks are never offended by being called rednecks. They take pride in it.

whiskeyguy

Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
Rednecks are never offended by being called rednecks. They take pride in it.

Around here at least, it's pretty much redneck > hick > hillbilly > white trash.

Although hick and redneck are different depending on who you ask. I've always been of the opinion that hicks are less educated/successful rednecks.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
Around here at least, it's pretty much redneck > hick > hillbilly > white trash.

Although hick and redneck are different depending on who you ask. I've always been of the opinion that hicks are less educated/successful rednecks.

Exactly.

I blame Jeff Foxworthy and Larry the Cable Guy for redneck pride.

Feb 5, 2003
With a stranger
"We all know the connotation of 'redneck.' "
I've read a few theories about the origin of the term, and none of them are even remotely racist. It either comes from:
  1. Scottish Presbyterians in the 1640s who rejected rule by Bishops and wore red cloths around their necks to show their opposition
  2. Striking coal miners who wore red bandanas around their necks in the 1920s who wore red bandanas as a display of solidarity
  3. Lower-class white people who performed manual labor outdoors and got sunburned necks
Option #3 is the closest to how it is used today, which isn't racist. The other 2 options are also not racist in even the vaguest way, so whatever "connotation" this dummy is implying doesn't exist. I doubt she even knows what she means, either. If she did, she would have just explained it instead of acting like it's common knowledge. I guess it's just racist to refer to white people in any way, shape, or form because black people will feel excluded on account of not being white. Next year they'll complain about St. Patrick's Day and call for the expulsion of any whitey who questions Black History Month.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
The dumb asses see the Confederate Battle Flag and get all uppity.

The War of Northern Aggression wasn't about slavery (that became an issue later in the war) as old Abe never freed the coloreds in the North. Just the states in rebellion.

whiskeyguy

Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
Exactly.

I blame Jeff Foxworthy and Larry the Cable Guy for redneck pride.
Don't, they have nothing to do with it. My family is full of them, and I probably am one to an extent. Rednecks for the most part aren't sitting around outside a trailer drinking beer in a wife beater (that's white trash). Their pride usually stems from being hard working, independent, ownership (focused around property and agricultural-based assets that turn a profit), love for country, etc. Unlike white trash people, a "redneck" would rather die than go on welfare. Now like I said, redneck and hick may be interchangeable in different parts of the country. "You might be a redneck" jokes don't really apply to anyone I know.

Foxworthy and The Cable Guy were parodies of the the douche bag loser rednecks hung out with growing up... the dude who couldn't keep is job at the mill because he was a fuck up and a dumb ass. Like all comedy it's obnoxious and embellished, and I think most of their fans are more laughing at that, rather than finding validation for their shitty lives. No "redneck" I know would be proud to be an example in Foxworthy's act.

DanaReevesLungs

I can keep rhythm with no metronome...
Donator
Jun 9, 2005
Louisiana
Don has to come up with a new "attack" for me now. Redneck, ****** and retard are out according to the ACLU and NAACP.

Jambi

Infidel
Nov 29, 2006
FL
Please allow me to toss this unrelated but timely log onto the fire....

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/...day-angers-Federal-Way-parents-205491181.html

PTA's 'White Trash Wednesday' angers Federal Way parents

FEDERAL WAY, Wash. -- An electronic sign out front welcomes visitors to Sunnycrest Elementary School in the Federal Way School District; what it doesn't mention is that next week is "Teacher Appreciation Week" - and that this year's effort's aren't exactly getting an A grade from parents in the neighborhood.

"Wow. You're kidding, right?" asked Karissa Edwards, as she strolled through the neighborhood with her daughter Tuesday. "That's not appropriate for school, whether it be elementary or high school - any of it."

Edwards was looking at an email sent from the school's PTA to local parents outlining next week's Teacher Appreciation Week. The theme - "Talkin' Trash" - is broken down by day, from "Muffin Top Monday," providing breakfast to school staff, to "Tempt Me Tuesday," where teachers would get 5-minute massages on their breaks.

The biggest concern among parents, however, appeared to be over another theme: "White Trash Wednesday," where barbeque would be served to staff on garbage can lids.

"It was incredibly offensive," said Chris King, father to an 8-year old at the school. "I'm mixed race. I'm half-black and half-white, and not only do I hate the term but the term doesn't have a place in elementary school."

"Absolutely it's a derogatory term," King continued, "and I don't think anybody wants to be called ('white trash.')"

The PTA president, Amy Beckner, declined to answer questions Tuesday about where the themes came from.

"I don't have anything to say," Beckner said, before closing the front door to her home.

School staff - who have no oversight of the PTA or its actions - was first made aware of the themes on Monday afternoon, said Rudy Baca, the school principal. The events were canceled Tuesday after parents called to complain.

"There could be some offensive language in the wording," said Baca. "It was an issue. It was just unfortunate because I really value the relationship I have with the PTA. They work so hard to support our teachers and the school."

Baca said more than half the students at the school come from Latino families, and that diversity remains an important part of the school's mission.

"It is just unfortunate because (the PTA has) the very best intentions to come and support our teachers," he added.

Late Tuesday morning, the PTA president emailed an apology to parents.

"The theme: Talkin' Trash was apparently found offensive to someone, and by no means is that ever our intent," the email reads.

"I want to take the opportunity to explain a few things and where the ideas came from," the email continues. "... as far as Wednesday, if you've ever been to (the barbeque restaurant) you know they serve, and cater on trash can lids."

King, whose daughter is in second grade at the school, said he hoped diversity training might be in the future for both teachers - and parents - at the school.

"We're literally at a school where most of the students are quite a bit below the median income range for our state and our country," King said, "and here we are using terms like 'freeloader Friday' and 'white trash Wednesday.'"

"It just goes a little bit too far," he added.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
"It was incredibly offensive," said Chris King, father to an 8-year old at the school. "I'm mixed race. I'm half-black and half-white, and not only do I hate the term but the term doesn't have a place in elementary school."
Pipe down, mongrel.

CougarHunter

Lying causes cat piss smell.
Mar 2, 2006
KC Metro
I don't see Chris King trying to give up Mulatto Monday, and half of Spook Saturday (after 12pm, of course).