Young illegal immigrants may get driver's licenses

domelogic

Feb 16, 2005
Center Valley, Pa.
Young illegal immigrants may get driver's licenses
Updated 1h 24m ago
Comments
Sponsored Links
FRESNO, California (AP) -- When 17-year-old Alondra Esquivel needs to get from her rural central California home to classes at Fresno State University 20 miles (32 kilometers) away, she must rely on rides from her relatives or her boyfriend.
Most Californians her age can drive. But Esquivel, a college freshman, was brought illegally to the United States from Mexico when she was 7. And California has denied driving privileges to immigrants lacking legal status since 1993.
"Without a license ... I have to depend on others to do the basic things," said Esquivel, who lives in rural Parlier, California, has classes at the college four times a week in Fresno. "It's a big inconvenience."
But Esquivel soon could get driving privileges: She is one of an estimated million eligible for a new federal program that temporarily defers deportation and grants work permits to people who were brought to the U.S. illegally as children. California has the largest number of potential applicants.
The new immigration policy has brought to the forefront the long-running and bitter debate over whether illegal immigrants should have access to driver's licenses. The U.S. Department of Homeland Security said that each state could determine whether to issue licenses or extend other benefits to young immigrants who qualify for the deferred status.
Some states, such as Oregon and Georgia, have announced that they will grant driving privileges to those eligible for the new program. Others, such as Arizona and Mississippi, have vowed to deny them.
California legislators this month approved a bill that would allow an estimated 450,000 eligible young immigrants in the state to use the federal work permits at the Department of Motor Vehicles as proof of lawful presence in the country. The bill is now headed to the governor.
For young people like Esquivel, foreign-born but steeped in America's language and lifestyles, the single administrative policy at the federal level, coupled with a state decision, could spell a life-changing moment --transforming school and work opportunities, daily nuisances and even social lives.
In California, where the automobile is king and car-culture dominates, the change could be most profound. Nearly inaccessible without a car, the state is famous for its freeways, streets lacking sidewalks and spotty or nonexistent public transportation. Driving is more than a practical necessity for Californians: it's a birthright.
Illegal immigrants in California who can't drive face a long series of daily inconveniences and calculated risks. Some drive without a license, unable to find another way to get to work or school. Others depend on family, friends and co-workers for rides.
It's especially hard on young people like Esquivel, who was raised in the U.S., but has had to miss out on the quintessential American rite of passage. She got top grades at Parlier High School, earning a merit scholarship to attend college, and plans to become an elementary school teacher. But at an age when getting behind the wheel seems pivotal, Esquivel can't drive to the mall or to see her friends, not to mention to school or work.
"Sometimes I feel like going out, but I can't really do that," she said.
Esquivel was smuggled by relatives through a border checkpoint in a car with her younger sister -- an experience she barely remembers.
In high school, she watched classmates get driver's licenses and cars as soon as they turned 16. Esquivel and a few others could not apply because of their legal status.
"It was hard," she said. "I felt left out. They were able to do things, go places, and I couldn't."
Parlier, population 14,500, has little in the way of public transportation, stores or services. Residents drive virtually everywhere -- to get to work, grocery shopping, to the doctor and to church.
Esquivel's parents, who pick grapes, olives and other crops in nearby fields, don't have time to drive her places and have not allowed Esquivel to drive without a license, because it's too dangerous, she said.
"If I get stopped, I could get deported," she said. "Things like that worry them."
Numerous bills to grant licenses to those without legal status in California have failed or been vetoed by several governors over the past decade.
Still, the commute to college has proved a challenge. Family members have to wait for hours while Esquivel is in class. And while the young woman's boyfriend, a U.S. citizen, also studies at Fresno State, their schedules don't coincide.
Her parents told her she might soon have to drive on her own, which fills Esquivel with dread. For the past month, she has occasionally sat behind the wheel with a relative in the passenger seat, in lieu of driving lessons.
Esquivel, who is in the process of applying for the new immigration program, hopes a license will come with it. To benefit, immigrants must prove they arrived in the United States before they turned 16, were younger than 31 as of June 15, have been living in the country at least five years, are in school or graduated, and have not been convicted of certain crimes.
Young immigrants who qualify won't get permanent legal residency or a path to citizenship, but will receive a work authorization card and a Social Security number.
"I'm really hoping the law that allows us to drive will pass," Esquivel said. "It would be a great relief for me."
Critics of the new immigration program say granting licenses to young immigrants like Esquivel would reward and accommodate illegal immigrants.
"We're already paying for the costs of illegal immigration. Why should we pay for additional benefits?" said Bob Dane, spokesman with the Federation for American Immigration Reform in Washington D.C. "The driver's license is a breeder document which opens up a full spectrum of rights and privileges" such as access to banking accounts, credit cards and mortgages.
But immigrant advocates say denying licenses to people approved under the new immigration program is illogical.
"This is a common sense issue," said Marielena Hincapie, executive director of the Los Angeles based National Immigration Law Center. "These are young people who will have valid work authorization and Social Security numbers. They will need to drive to school, to work, to medical appointments. From a policy perspective, granting them licenses makes sense."
For Esquivel, a license would also mean fulfilling another wish: driving 200 miles (320 kilometers) north to Sacramento to visit grandparents she has not seen for years.

This kind of thing infuriates me. Am I supposed to feel sorry for their inconvenience. Can we delete the term illegal from the dictionary or just change the definition.

How does someone who is here illegally get into an american college or high school for that matter? If you had a visa or green card I can see.

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island
But I thought the voter ID thing was bad because it's so hard to get a photo ID . . . they're just giving them away in Cracker Jack boxes in Cali.

JoeyDVDZ

That's MR. MOJO, Motherfucker!
Aug 20, 2004
I honestly don't have a problem with kids who were brought here against their wishes as illegals. They didn't ask for this; they're stuck here because their parents didn't do it the right way. In my opinion, if you didn't decide to come here, you didn't break the law. You should be given special consideration with regard to legal status. (Once again, my opinion, not looking for a flaming. Just seems unfair to the kids.)

Neckbeard

I'm Team Piggy!
Donator
Oct 26, 2011
It is all about THEIR convenience. ME ME ME ME ME. The fucking little taco benders come into this country, move to an area where there is already a significant bunch of the felonious, whining ingrates and try to call the shots. And fail, and ruin that region with their crime and imbecility.

Also, I DO mind the kids. They ruin schools, leech on the system and pack the "emergency" rooms which might as well be the Nationwide Hospital of Mexico And Africa Within America.

America shouldn't allow Mexicans into it anymore. Mexico sucks because it has MEXICAN drug lords and MEXICAN corrupt politicians and MEXICAN crooked cops. Mexico sucks because it has Mexicans in it. America has tens of millions of Mexicans in it right now, we don't need any more. We need a good deal less, actually. What America should do is emplace a full moratorium on immigration, work visas and college student visas. All systems of employment and goodies must be denied to illegals and anybody caught teaching or hiring an illegal should be first heavily fined and then imprisoned. Those laws are already on the books. America must deport illegals and financially incentivize blacks and browns to just go home via a repatriation system.

Apr 30, 2011
CLT
It is all about THEIR convenience. ME ME ME ME ME. The fucking little taco benders come into this country, move to an area where there is already a significant bunch of the felonious, whining ingrates and try to call the shots. And fail, and ruin that region with their crime and imbecility.

Also, I DO mind the kids. They ruin schools, leech on the system and pack the "emergency" rooms which might as well be the Nationwide Hospital of Mexico And Africa Within America.

America shouldn't allow Mexicans into it anymore. Mexico sucks because it has MEXICAN drug lords and MEXICAN corrupt politicians and MEXICAN crooked cops. Mexico sucks because it has Mexicans in it. America has tens of millions of Mexicans in it right now, we don't need any more. We need a good deal less, actually. What America should do is emplace a full moratorium on immigration, work visas and college student visas. All systems of employment and goodies must be denied to illegals and anybody caught teaching or hiring an illegal should be first heavily fined and then imprisoned. Those laws are already on the books. America must deport illegals and financially incentivize blacks and browns to just go home via a repatriation system.
THIS!, as non PC as it is, of course not one politician will back it. If it couldnt get done under the guise of Homeland Security its never going to happen.

Letting the kids have special circumstances just makes the immigrant family use them more as an anchor. How can you deport/jail the parents if the kid is recognized.

With the rate at which they have kids makes it even more of a bad idea.

JoeyDVDZ

That's MR. MOJO, Motherfucker!
Aug 20, 2004

I don't disagree with the moratorium on future immigration; in fact, I'm all for it. The only thing I have a problem with is the kids currently in this country, illegally or otherwise, who didn't ask to be brought here, have made this their home, and are being told to leave. They should be grandfathered into being citizens simply due to their lack of choice in where they wound up. But totally, stop further incursions into our country; put a giant "No Vacancy" sign up at every border.

THIS!, as non PC as it is, of course not one politician will back it. If it couldnt get done under the guise of Homeland Security its never going to happen.

Letting the kids have special circumstances just makes the immigrant family use them more as an anchor. How can you deport/jail the parents if the kid is recognized.

With the rate at which they have kids makes it even more of a bad idea.
I'm not talking about illegals who are cranking out kids now; I'm talking about the ones who showed up with kids already popped out. In fact, if an illegal bean slinger is preggers, pop her, her old man, and all 16 of her brothers and sisters on the next cargo plane for tijauana.

domelogic

Feb 16, 2005
Center Valley, Pa.
I don't disagree with the moratorium on future immigration; in fact, I'm all for it. The only thing I have a problem with is the kids currently in this country, illegally or otherwise, who didn't ask to be brought here, have made this their home, and are being told to leave. They should be grandfathered into being citizens simply due to their lack of choice in where they wound up. But totally, stop further incursions into our country; put a giant "No Vacancy" sign up at every border.

Wrong wrong wrong wrong. I could care less if they werent asked to be brought here. The fact is they were and we are paying for it through taxes, etc. Life is tough and its sucks at times but because of their parents that is what they have to deal with. I might want to be sympathetic but with everything going on in this country involving givemedats as they say, no way. Besides it sets an extremely bad example and you know many more like them will follow it

Neckbeard

I'm Team Piggy!
Donator
Oct 26, 2011
You can't take it easy on the "kids." Kicking the kids out is a way to punish the parents. Plus, you see the way Mexicans disdain knowledge, refuse to integrate, flunk out of school, crank out a kid or 3 before they are 16 (who is a citizen, thanks shitty interpretation of the 14th Amendment) and just make this country worse.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
Send the kids packing with their illegal parents. When they turn 18, they can apply for a visa and start the legal waiting process and pay the fees and fill out the forms like everyone else who abides by the law. The parents are responsible for their kids, and leading them into an illegal operation is their decision.

peewee

Aug 10, 2003
NY
I think this is a good way to tackle a tough situation. These kids are living here and working here already. This is a first step toward them becoming citizens and paying taxes. They have already been assimilated and educated. This is a great way to finally get a return on the tax payers investment into their education.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
These kids are living here illegally and working here illegally already. This is a first step toward them becoming citizens and paying taxes. They have already been assimilated and educated illegally.
fyp

Sure it's a tough situation, but they broke the law. Visit any embassy waiting room and look at all the signs stating any commission of fraud during the visa process will result in a lifetime ban on getting into the US. It is a serious problem.

But I thought the voter ID thing was bad because it's so hard to get a photo ID . . . they're just giving them away in Cracker Jack boxes in Cali.
Can somebody who ascribes to the voter fraud theory explain to me why Obama is leading in 4 of the 5 whitest states in the country?

And how come when Florida reviewed the names of 180,000 voters (many of them Hispanic-sounding) including Iraq war vets, it only found one illegal voter...and it was a white Canadian gun enthusiast?

Bluestreak

This space intentionally left blank.
Sep 27, 2007
Mawl-din, MA
If their here illegally, in school, working or not - either file the proper paperwork for a visa, gc, or full citizenship - otherwise, GTFO.
My grandparent and parents did it the right way, so should the ungrateful wetbacks.

Bluestreak

Sep 27, 2007
Mawl-din, MA
If their here illegally; in school, working or not - either file the proper paperwork for a visa, gc, or full citizenship - otherwise, GTFO.
My grandparent and parents did it the right way, so should these ungrateful wetbacks.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
I think this is a good way to tackle a tough situation. These kids are living here and working here already. This is a first step toward them becoming citizens and paying taxes. They have already been assimilated and educated. This is a great way to finally get a return on the tax payers investment into their education.
Or allowing them to stay is the first step to adding more net-loss citizens in this country. 50% of the people in this country pay income taxes... how many illegal aliens will ever fit into that group (assuming we give them Tax ID numbers, etc)?

When you think of the fiscal benefits of being a citizen, from social entitlements to subsidized education and so on, can we expect a financial return from allowing these people to stay, or will they ultimately cost us more than they put back into the system?

These kids were taught at a very young age that it's perfectly fine to break the law (illegal immigration). Their parents and even some politicians have said that it's justified to do so because they wanted a better life... well I find it hard to believe that's the only law they'd break to get that better life. How about identity theft to help them get a job? Or entitlement fraud? Part of the reasoning behind punishing criminals is to create a deterrent... if we stop punishing them, others will not hesitate to break the same laws.

peewee

Aug 10, 2003
NY
Or allowing them to stay is the first step to adding more net-loss citizens in this country. 50% of the people in this country pay income taxes... how many illegal aliens will ever fit into that group (assuming we give them Tax ID numbers, etc)?

When you think of the fiscal benefits of being a citizen, from social entitlements to subsidized education and so on, can we expect a financial return from allowing these people to stay, or will they ultimately cost us more than they put back into the system?

These kids were taught at a very young age that it's perfectly fine to break the law (illegal immigration). Their parents and even some politicians have said that it's justified to do so because they wanted a better life... well I find it hard to believe that's the only law they'd break to get that better life. How about identity theft to help them get a job? Or entitlement fraud? Part of the reasoning behind punishing criminals is to create a deterrent... if we stop punishing them, others will not hesitate to break the same laws.
I'm not too sure how much of the article you read, but this is not a path to citizenship or permanent legal residency, so they are not elagiable to social entitlements. These kids have already been educated here and currently work here. Now at the very least they will need to pay into social security (which is more then they do now) and most likely pay income tax. I don't see what the problem is.

Bluestreak

Sep 27, 2007
Mawl-din, MA
Also -- fuck the employers that are cheating the system and hiring illegals.

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
May 21, 2005
Hell,California
or we could start shooting them for sport

there sure is more than enough of them

and I live in the same area the wetback in the article is living

that is all I see around here is stinking wetbacks

all the billboards are in wetbaxican, lots of stores signage is too

they drive drunk most of the time, after all, if you don't have to obey the immigration laws then why obey any other laws?

all of the suspect they arrest for robberies and murders are wetback sounding names or they are called "mexican nationals"

and they say they are all hard working

not many of them are, they work hard at working the system. they get phony identification and get a job, then get another phony ID and get govt benefits

and their wives do the same thing. they ALL have a dozen kids when seen by the welfare people as they pool them together to look like a huge family so they get even more benefits.

if you invaded another country from a savage turd world country with no way to be identified, you could do the same thing

most have scammed enough wealth together to buy houses and new cars

this country is doomed if we do not find a way to stop this

or we could start shooting them for sport

there sure is more than enough of them

and I live in the same area the wetback in the article is living

that is all I see around here is stinking wetbacks

all the billboards are in wetbaxican, lots of stores signage is too

they drive drunk most of the time, after all, if you don't have to obey the immigration laws then why obey any other laws?

all of the suspect they arrest for robberies and murders are wetback sounding names or they are called "mexican nationals"

and they say they are all hard working

not many of them are, they work hard at working the system. they get phony identification and get a job, then get another phony ID and get govt benefits

and their wives do the same thing. they ALL have a dozen kids when seen by the welfare people as they pool them together to look like a huge family so they get even more benefits.

if you invaded another country from a savage turd world country with no way to be identified, you could do the same thing

most have scammed enough wealth together to buy houses and new cars

this country is doomed if we do not find a way to stop this
This was said about the Irish, Italians, Eastern Europeans, Asians and all other immigrants throughout the years. In the 1830's they talked about Irish construction workers like they do Mexican laborers today, and there were even riots over it. Google: NO IRISH NEED APPLY.

Neckbeard

I'm Team Piggy!
Donator
Oct 26, 2011
Lets cut the shit though. Italians and Irish committed much less crime than the 50 million strong spic hoarde and wound up assimilating much better.