Your Local Cable Company, Always a problem.

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
I recently moved across town to share an apartment with someone. They already have cable service with a very slow internet and basic TV package. I hooked up the modem from my old Apartment and it worked. I have fast internet, no TV. My RM wants to keep his current setup with the crappy internet speeds. I need fast internet for games and video streams. I call the cable company to change my address and to keep my service as it is. They inform me that we can only have a single account at my address. They would have to put the modem on the other account and they would have to install a second line, and charge me. I tell them that it's connected already it works fine as it is, and the RM doesn't want to change the service. I guess he's grandfathered in to some deal and will be screwed if he changes anything. The other day they shut off access to my modem and I'm stuck using WIFI on this crappy slow connection. Fastest download is 300-400kbs. I can barely stream standard def on youtube. Anyone know of some way to get these fuckers to let me have a second account?

SOS

ONA
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA
How about get it through someone else's apartment?

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator
Jul 28, 2005
New York
Call them back and escalate it. Why would they turn down the chance to bill two separate people at the same fucking place? You went off script with the first idiot and they didn't know how to handle it.

If they're still not willing to help, call back and add an A or 1/2 or to the address. Voila.

stellarcomics

Jul 25, 2005
Dude, just buy Clear 4G if it's available in your area. Wireless 4G that is networkable; I get between 5-10 megs/sec. My wife and I have separate units on both sides of our apt; and I have another one in my office. Great internet for $50/month, unlimited bandwidth and no contract. I wish I could find an internet TV source; I cancelled my Time Warner months ago.

peewee

Aug 10, 2003
NY
Dude, just buy Clear 4G if it's available in your area. Wireless 4G that is networkable; I get between 5-10 megs/sec. My wife and I have separate units on both sides of our apt; and I have another one in my office. Great internet for $50/month, unlimited bandwidth and no contract. I wish I could find an internet TV source; I cancelled my Time Warner months ago.
What are the upload speeds like?

stellarcomics

Jul 25, 2005
Not particularly good (like 1 or 2 megs a sec). My wife plays Mass Effect online all the time and she never has a problem.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
I'd have researched this beforehand. But, at this point I'd tell the roommate that this setup with the shitty internet isn't working for you. How great could the grandfathered deal be?

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
When your RM isn't around, accidentally knock the modem over into a tub of water (not powered, of course.)

Apr 30, 2011
CLT
Call them back and escalate it. Why would they turn down the chance to bill two separate people at the same fucking place? You went off script with the first idiot and they didn't know how to handle it.

If they're still not willing to help, call back and add an A or 1/2 or to the address. Voila.
This. We have 3 seperate accounts at my shop under 3 different customers but of course TWC is going to allow that with premium business accounts (upload). Hell they also both sub to AT&T which I think is the primary connection on both. You are just going to have to get with a CSR that can get somebody to do this. See if there is another number that you can call that might be sales oriented that can get you to a supervisor that can override the restriction.

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
I'm basically fucked for now. Charter and AT&T are the only broadband options in my area. I have a friend who works for Charter who says he can run the other line and do the install for nothing and give my RM a better cable deal. I doubt he's change his mind. As slow as DSL is compared to cable, it's a lot faster than what I'm using now. I might go that route.

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
RM increased the speed. Gave him my old Cable Modem to him to use and save 7 bucks a month, charter isn't letting people use their own equipment anymore. Bitched, saying it's a brand new modem and we already payed for it so they just gave us another modem and removed the 7 dollar fee. They are including the rental fee in the total bill now. Get ready for another bill increase from Charter. It evens out to about 3 dollars more month with the faster speed.