OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Zanesville Police Department : 3 officers charged - conspiracy to distribute cocaine

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by burky79, Oct 2, 2007.

1. burky79

burky79 62 75 72 6b 79 37 39

Feb 18, 2005

COLUMBUS, Ohio - Two policemen and a health care police officer face felony drug charges after the men allegedly took part in a scheme to extort money from drug dealers and sell cocaine for profit, according to a federal affidavit obtained Tuesday by 10TV News.

Chad Mills (pictured right, in the middle), Sean Beck (pictured far right), and Trevor Fusner (pictured right, on the left) were taken into custody on Monday evening after a five-week investigation, 10TV's Maureen Kocot reported.

ONLINE EXTRA: Read The Criminal Complaint (PDF)

Beck, 28, and Fusner, 31, are officers with the Zanesville Police Department, and Mills, 29, is a Genesis Health Care System police officer.

All three have been charged with conspiracy to distribute cocaine, while Beck faces an additional charge of extortion.According to court records, the investigation began in June when Beck allegedly demanded $7,500 from a known drug dealer in exchange for making criminal charges disappear, Kocot reported.

In August, Beck demanded an additional $1,300 which prompted the dealer to contact authorities, the FBI said. During the same month, the FBI said Beck discussed setting up a delivery that involved "a kilo of cocaine." The plan, according to prosecutors, was to steal the cocaine and sell it for a profit, Kocot reported.

Investigators said numerous conversations between the officers were videotaped or recorded. According to court documents, Beck drove his "marked Zanesville police cruiser" to one meeting where he collected $1,300, Kocot reported.

*rest of story under spoiler tag*
    The documents also read that Beck allegedly took his 2-year-old son to a meeting at a known drug dealer's home.
    "When we get allegations of law enforcement and corruption, we address it diligently and aggressively," said FBI special agent Michael Mee. "In this case, the efforts of the agents resulted in the charges."

The federal drug charge carries a mandatory sentence of five years in prison. All three officers are scheduled to appear for a bond hearing on Thursday.

In Zanesville on Tuesday, the police chief and Muskingum County Prosecutor said they planned to look over cases the officers investigated, or were investigating, 10TV's Cara Connelly reported.

It was not known how many cases could be affected by the investigation.

Zanesville police Chief Eric Lambes said he was trying to keep a positive outlook.

"Even though it's not a good day for the Zanesville Police Department by any means, we are certainly proud of the fact that these two men are in custody."

Beck, who is a 7-year K-9 officer, and Fusner, who has been with the department for two years, were both placed on unpaid administrative leave, Connelly reported.

Meanwhile, Genesis Health Care Systems said Mills was placed on investigative leave.

Neighbors told 10TV News that they often saw police cars parked in front of Mills' apartment, but they said he was always a quiet neighbor, Connelly reported.

None of the officer's personnel files listed any previous disciplinary issues, Connelly reported.

10tv video

Thats the town I grew up in... what a disgrace.

Not to mention the last line before the spoiler tag... "...Beck drove his "marked Zanesville police cruiser" to one meeting where he collected $1,300..."
  2. burky79

Feb 18, 2005
    More cases dropped due to Zanesville cops' arrest

More cases dropped due to Zanesville cops' arrest

ZANESVILLE - Three more pending cases were dropped by the Muskingum County Prosecutor's office Tuesday as a result of a former Zanesville police officer being arrested by the FBI and charged with two federal counts.

Prosecutor Michael Haddox said he dismissed three pending cases that required former Zanesville Police officer Sean Beck to testify or be available for testimony if the cases were to go to trial.

Haddox had previously dropped one case earlier this month that Beck had brought to his office.
    Beck was charged with one count of extortion and one count of conspiracy to distribute cocaine on Oct. 1 by FBI agents at the Zanesville Police Department. Beck was arrested along with former officer Trevor Fusner, who was charged with one count of conspiracy to distribute cocaine. Also arrested that day was Genesis HealthCare Systems Police Officer Chad Mills, who was also charged with one count of conspiracy to distribute cocaine.

Haddox said on Tuesday that he dismissed cases against Roger G. Hawkins of Zanesville, who was indicted in September on one count of possession of crack cocaine, Robert L. McGowan of Zanesville, who was indicted in August on one count of possession of crack cocaine with a forfeiture specification, and Teddy A. Webb of Zanesville, who was indicted in September on one count of possession of crack cocaine and one count of possession of drug paraphernalia.

Haddox said he dismissed the cases due to Beck's unavailability because of his arrest and that his credibility would now be in question.

"We felt we would have problems with the cases since no one else would be able to testify as to probable cause and also Beck's credibility would be an issue," Haddox said.

Beck waived his bond hearing last week and remains at the Franklin County Jail.

Fusner and Mills were released on their own recognizance and placed on house arrest after being fitted with electronic monitors. They have also been ordered not to have any contact with employees of the Zanesville Police Department, the Muskingum County Sheriff's Office, Genesis hospitals, any known felons, witnesses, victims, or drug dealers.

Beck resigned from the police department Monday while Fusner resigned last week.

Mills remains on unpaid leave from the hospital.

All three were arrested after the FBI conducted an investigation into their plan to steal a kilo of cocaine from a drug dealer.
  3. TheDrip

TheDrip I'm bi-winning.

Jan 9, 2006
    Criminals recently arrested in Zanesville are breathing a sigh of relief.
  4. moegolden

moegolden Perv-switch toggler

Oct 3, 2004
    hey burky, what kind of reputation does zanesville have now? I always thought it was an interesting place, but if you hear someone is from there, what is the stereotype, if any?

is there a lot of minorities there? i know there was at least one guy that made the nba.

i ask because i've been working on a character whose hometown is zanesville.
  5. Creampier

Creampier I have to return some videotapes!

May 11, 2007
    All I know about Zanesville is that it was home to former Mets scrubs Jay Payton and Kurt Abbott, and some crazy janitor shot some schoolbus driver there like 5 years ago.
  6. burky79

Feb 18, 2005

reputation... the town thats a lil behind on the times.
    not out of touch with the world, but more of a slow pace "home town" feel.

it used to be the trailer park white trash image... but i think that passed in the late 80's - mid 90's. there is still plenty of that, just not the prominate image now.

if i hear someones from there, i go down a list of do you know this person, do you know this person... usually hit a common one within 6 or 7 people.

the minority population... i would say very small, still mostly a generation away from a hill-jack type of place. if you want the numbers, check out city-data.com or quickfacts.cencus.gov

you say working on a character... is that acting, writing, theatre, etc.?

oh yeah and anyone from zanesville will always bring up the "Y Bridge"

Zanesville noteable residents - wiki
    * Richard Basehart (1914–1984), actor, narrator of closing ceremonies for 1984 Summer Olympics
    * Thomas Townsend Brown (1905–1985), prominent physicist and part-time UFO researcher
    * Mark Dantonio (1956— ), head football coach, Michigan State University
    * Aimee Fuller (1971— ), Los Angeles television host[2]
    * Dr. Larry W. Gaiters (1963— ), minister, head of an evangelical ministry, human rights activist
    * Cass Gilbert (1859–1934), prominent American architect
    * Zane Grey (1872–1939), author of Western novels, prominent sport fisherman
    * Kevin Martin (1983— ), NBA basketball player
    * Dan Patrick (Pugh) (1956— ), ESPN Radio and Television commentator, lived in Zanesville for a time as a child.
    * Jay Payton (1972— ), MLB baseball player
    * Michele Redman (1965— ), LPGA Tour golfer
    * Rod Williams,(1934---)National Broadcasters Hall of fame inductee. [media]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1527972980220648955&hl=en[/media]
    * Fred R. Taylor, (1924-2002) Hall of Fame basketball coach - The Ohio State University, 1960 NCAA championship

dont remember anything aboout the janitor/bus driver story... sounds interesting.