Zero Dark Thirty - Kathryn Bigelow's hunt for Bin Laden film

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Couldn't manage to squeeze it in before the election, ha? Shame... :icon_cool

Evilton

Why do black people call each other "Monica"?
Oct 1, 2006

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
They actually moved it to December after they got some criticism that it could be viewed as propaganda for the Obama campaign.
Could be viewed? Didn't they get like unprecedented access to SEALS and the White House? Yeah, I can see how that could be viewed as propaganda for the Obama campaign...

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island
I don't know about unprecedented, but the level of cooperation from the administration was definitely unusual. The film was already in the planning stages (as an open-ended manhunt film) before Bin Laden was killed, but both the filmmakers and the politicians saw the opportunity to make it a lot more once our guys got him. However, since the film got bumped till a month after the election, it looks like the filmmakers got the better part of the deal.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
I don't know about unprecedented, but the level of cooperation from the administration was definitely unusual. The film was already in the planning stages (as an open-ended manhunt film) before Bin Laden was killed,
It's the Fever Pitch of war movies.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
I don't know about unprecedented, but the level of cooperation from the administration was definitely unusual. The film was already in the planning stages (as an open-ended manhunt film) before Bin Laden was killed, but both the filmmakers and the politicians saw the opportunity to make it a lot more once our guys got him. However, since the film got bumped till a month after the election, it looks like the filmmakers got the better part of the deal.
Pretty gutsy call. :icon_cool

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
Are they going to show how waterboarding helped get the information we used to find bin Laden?

SOS

ONA
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA
I won't watch it unless they show the head shot.

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
Does it mention Shakil Afridi, and the gutsy call to continue sending billions in aid to his torturers?

SOS

ONA
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA

FMDoug

Nov 29, 2005
does anyone know if there is a way to watch this and other movies streaming on the internet. if there is can someone pm me? thanks.

OccupyWackbag

Dec 12, 2011
does anyone know if there is a way to watch this and other movies streaming on the internet. if there is can someone pm me? thanks.
IDK about streaming but definitely don't download any torrents of it. It was made by the same people as The Hurt Locker and those guys went after tens of thousands of people who downloaded that movie illegally.

Historically it seems that your more likely to get the ISP letter or sued downloading indie flicks or movies that flopped in theaters.

I get all my movies/shows/music illegally and I'm just going to what until it's released on iTunes or Amazon and rent it.

I'll keep an eye out for a stream though. I haven't found any screener copies so any stream will probably be poor cam quality.

FMDoug

Nov 29, 2005
I know of a website that did stream movies and TV but now it seems like its only TV. Possibly because of the MPA; i don't know.

This is the time of year where most movies that come out and are on the web illegally are screener copies for the oscars.

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
Quite the asshole.
http://carpetbagger.blogs.nytimes.c...r-adds-his-voice-to-zero-dark-thirty-protest/
Ed Asner Adds His Voice to ‘Zero Dark Thirty’ Protest

By MICHAEL CIEPLY
LOS ANGELES — Sunday dawned crisp and clear here, with wintry (for Southern California) temperatures lingering in the 40s and 50s. But the rhetoric was already hot, as Hollywood got ready for a Golden Globes ceremony at which the table talk — if not the stage banter — almost inevitably will turn to the political flare-up around “Zero Dark Thirty.”
“I would like to condemn the movie” for making it appear that torture was effective in the hunt for Osama bin Laden, Ed Asner said in a telephone interview on Sunday morning. Mr. Asner said he and fellow actor Martin Sheen planned to join in a letter, drafted by yet another actor, David Clennon, asking fellow members of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences to factor in matters of conscience when casting awards votes.
“We hope that ‘Zero’ will not be honored by Academy (or Guild) members,” said a draft of the letter, which was provided by Mr. Clennon on Sunday morning.
He had already spoken publicly about the planned campaign at a Friday protest by members of the Interfaith Communities United for Justice and Peace.
His remarks prompted a sharp responsefrom Amy Pascal, the co-chair of Sony Pictures Entertainment, which is releasing “Zero Dark Thirty.” “To punish an artist’s right of expression is abhorrent,” said Ms. Pascal in a statement. She also stressed, as has Kathryn Bigelow, who directed “Zero Dark Thirty,” and Mark Boal, who wrote it, that the film portrays torture, but does not advocate it.

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
His remarks prompted a sharp responsefrom Amy Pascal, the co-chair of Sony Pictures Entertainment, which is releasing “Zero Dark Thirty.” “To punish an artist’s right of expression is abhorrent,” said Ms. Pascal in a statement. She also stressed, as has Kathryn Bigelow, who directed “Zero Dark Thirty,” and Mark Boal, who wrote it, that the film portrays torture, but does not advocate it.
Hate to tell them what their own film is about, but it clearly and unequivocally contradicts the notion that torture doesn't work, or that there are better ways to collect information about terror networks.

It doesn't advocate for anything, it just presents the facts, but, if enough people watch it, it's gonna make the narrative by which torture doesn't work a very hard sell. That's why these activists are angry. They're delusional, not stupid. They understand what this film will do to their credibility.

KR1288

Mar 23, 2012
Lower Bucks
Watched a screener copy this weekend, It was good but not great. It was two and a half hours with almost the whole first two hours just being intell and backstory. I feel like it could have been 90 minute Nat Geo documentary and I would have been just as satisfied.