Zune vs. Ipod?

BravoSierra

Why do people keep calling me?
Jun 27, 2005
Berkeley, CA
I just got a Microsoft Zune off of woot.com last week and it came in the mail today. So far, fuck yeah! It really is badass. From what I understand, the Zune completely bombed but I'm not sure why. My only guess is that the 30 GB HD along with the pricetag threw everyone off. Not to mention everyone had an Ipod already anyways. Anyone used both? I may be one of the few that has never used an Ipod.

I've been using a Nexus 50, Nexus 25, and a Myfi all within the past year. And after today, I can totally see myself without XM... but finding OnA in other ways (Haven't decided on a source)... I'm throwin my money towards the boys any way I go though.

So far with the Zune... pretty bumbed with the lack of programs you can use with it. Use "Zune" (Just like iTunes) or nothin. But, I've found some pretty underground shit on there and haven't had a problem with finding music I like. Even found the band of a dude I bought some drinks for at a dive bar while he got tanked and played the keyboard.

The size is quite a big larger than I'm used to, but I think it's the same as an Ipod, just thicker.

martianvirus

READY THE ANALPROBES!!!!!!!!
Nov 20, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
zune, apple is for zombies [i once had an ipod, the screen broke because it was made cheep]

Dikbag

Dec 11, 2004
NW Ohio
I would get a zune but my I I have this 7 inch touch screen in my car and my ipod can plug right in to control it w/ the screen. it's nice to have the contents of it displayed all nice and big like that.

martianvirus

Nov 20, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
Shouldn't it be about time for the 2nd gen zunes to come out? Anyone have info? I wanna get one, but I don't want a fist gen. Not that there is anything wrong with it. But I just know I won't like it once I see the new ones in the store.

BravoSierra

Jun 27, 2005
Berkeley, CA
Just to throw this out.... I put 20 GB of music on it within about 3 hours. 10 more to go... day 2.

BravoSierra

Jun 27, 2005
Berkeley, CA
That's why I have a computer. The 'ol 250 GB (and more once I get another HD) is still kickin. Can you jerk off to a 4"x 2" screen?

jsc315

AnalCunt
Dec 8, 2004
Evergreen Park,IL
I'm by far a fanboy for the ipod. I had the zune for about 3 weeks and could not stand it. Ipods are limited to what they can do and well the zune is even more limited and considering i have to use there software to just add songs on the zune is lame. If they would have had and auto shut off timer and the possibility to add more support than WMV for video and make it PMD(portable media device) as well. Also microsoft lost urge, there only place where you can buy music to but on the player.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
I have a Zen Vision:M 30gig player. Love it. It easily uploads music/photos/videos.
Way nicer than my wife's Ipod.
I never went back to XM after the suspension.
Don't need it now.

jsc315

AnalCunt
Dec 8, 2004
Evergreen Park,IL
yea the zen vision:M is considered one of the best players out there. I just wish i could afford one.

Razor Roman

MJMandalayForPresident2024
Aug 27, 2002
Sayreville NJ
I have a Zen Vision:M 30gig player. Love it. It easily uploads music/photos/videos.
Don't need it now.
I got a Zen Vision: W about a month ago... LOVE it.

Only thing thats missing is when you select an artist there is no option to play all their songs, you have to pick an album. I wish they'd fix that with firmware.

I use WinAmp to manage my files now... its great.

NightStalker3

a complete moron that posts
Oct 4, 2004
I have had a Zen Vision M since day one. works great for pics vid and especially if you use Napster to Go. Load up all of the music you want for 14.95 a month

EvilMonkey71

Blurka Blurka Blurka
Sep 6, 2006
Flemington,NJ
Don't need it now.
I got one in July....upgraded from the Zen Micro that I had. Great, great player. I have a Rhapsody To Go subscription ($14.95 a month) also so I have huge catalog of music to drop onto it.

Circuit City has been selling them for $200 lately.

Apr 11, 2005
New Jersey
Shouldn't it be about time for the 2nd gen zunes to come out? Anyone have info? I wanna get one, but I don't want a fist gen. Not that there is anything wrong with it. But I just know I won't like it once I see the new ones in the store.
http://gear.ign.com/articles/807/807381p1.html

In an email Q&A between a Microsoft representative and gadget blog whizbyte, the company provided the first official confirmation that new Zune hardware will hit the streets prior to this year's holiday season. When asked for comment on upcoming Zune models, a Microsoft representative replied: "We have seen the rumors floating around, but we haven't announced specific dates or details for the next generation of the Zune devices or service. That said, Zune follows the cycle of the consumer electronics cycle so you can expect an update later this year prior to the holiday season."

The representative went on to detail "predictable paths" for Zune expansion, including new models in the device family that will be based on size, style, and price points, new software features, and new international markets. The news is indeed rather predictable as just about everyone expected Microsoft to pursue an iPod style approach to growing the Zune brand, though confirmation of new models this year is interesting in that they will likely be the product of Microsoft's own designers rather than remodeled hardware from Toshiba that comprised the first Zune.
along with a few other people here i got a zv:m a while ago when it first came out and really enjoy it.

EvilMonkey71

Blurka Blurka Blurka
Sep 6, 2006
Flemington,NJ
I got a Zen Vision: W about a month ago... LOVE it.

Only thing thats missing is when you select an artist there is no option to play all their songs, you have to pick an album. I wish they'd fix that with firmware.
Sure you can....go to Music Library > Artists; then highlight the artist you want to listen to and hit the Play button (on the Zen itself, not in the menu). Just tried it on mine and that works.

SlimeyGoatFuckr

Dec 29, 2005
Denver
The new iPods are expected to be announced om September 5. They are expected to be full screen touch screen just like the iPhones. I hope they kick butt all over the Zunes. I love how people say iPods are for Zombies.

I still have my 30GIG iPod photo, works and looks perfectly as if I had bought it today.

martianvirus

Nov 20, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
The new iPods are expected to be announced om September 5. They are expected to be full screen touch screen just like the iPhones. I hope they kick butt all over the Zunes. I love how people say iPods are for Zombies.

I still have my 30GIG iPod photo, works and looks perfectly as if I had bought it today.
Like that's news, apple puts out new ipods almost every 5 days.

norton23

Opie And Anthony Always Win In The End
Dec 1, 2002
TITLE TOWN BABY!!!

I have no i-pod and no zune but as soon as Zune came out I wanted it,,,since I got rid of my xm unit i've been looking and comparing,,,gonna' just wait untill the holiday season to get one since I can get it as a gift so it will be free, and to wait for the new versions....The touch screen sounds good but the one thing that stuck out to me about the zune was that it looked tougher,,,I plan on using it at the gym and I don't see a touch screen doing anything but getting fucked up and beat on,,,,as is im gonna have to get a solid case for whatever system I do get. Any pics of the new Zune or specs?

thelord68

There's always time for lubricant
Feb 24, 2003
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Picked up the Zen Vision:M during the suspension for < $200 on sale. I was considering the Zune as well for the bigger screen and it was also on sale, but the Zen's format support blows everything else away.

My favorite player of all time was my Rio Karma, which unfortunately got destroyed in a flood. The Zen comes pretty close.

The Zen has a better screen and battery life than the Ipod, and more functionality/flexibility than either the Zune or Ipod.

As long as you are using Windows, you're not locked into using one particular piece of software to transfer media.

Bottom line - for content, you still can't beat the Ipod and iTunes if you are purchasing music or video. Tons of OEM and aftermarket accessories.

The Zen works with Napster and you can get the subscription service, for video, you can throw all your exisiting Divx/Xvid/Mpeg stuff on it without recoding. Accessories are difficult to find anywhere but online and choice is somewhat limited.

Zune is still playing catchup, but it isn't a bad form factor, the screen is larger, the navigation is decent, and it does seem to be able to handle more abuse without scratching. While not as many accessories as the Ipod, the stores do seem to carry at least some Zune stuff.

Razor Roman

MJMandalayForPresident2024
Aug 27, 2002
Sayreville NJ
Sure you can....go to Music Library > Artists; then highlight the artist you want to listen to and hit the Play button (on the Zen itself, not in the menu). Just tried it on mine and that works.

NICE!!!!!!!! I wish it was more obvious (like when you selected the artist there was an "all" as the first choice in the album list) but now that I know it --- I am doing the happy dance majorly!:clap::clap::clap:

stellarcomics

Jul 25, 2005
I once saw the Zune in Target. I'll give this to Microsoft; the Zune has the largest and clearest screen compared to the iPod with Video. Now the iPhone has a better screen than both of them.

EvilMonkey71

Blurka Blurka Blurka
Sep 6, 2006
Flemington,NJ
NICE!!!!!!!! I wish it was more obvious (like when you selected the artist there was an "all" as the first choice in the album list) but now that I know it --- I am doing the happy dance majorly!:clap::clap::clap:
Yeah, the manual they provide doesn't really tell you a lot of that stuff. I've discovered a lot of this stuff from reading the Zen Vision:M forum on http://www.anythingbutipod.com I've been able to find a lot of info from fellow Zen users on there.

N.Y. Johnny

Fake Twitter Friend
Sep 9, 2005
Texas
I once saw the Zune in Target. I'll give this to Microsoft; the Zune has the largest and clearest screen compared to the iPod with Video. Now the iPhone has a better screen than both of them.

Apple's got an event coming Sept 5, alot of people are betting on a touch screen, wifi ipod or some kinda new Gen 6 ipod. Watch it be a goddamn set of speakers for an ipod. Anyways I kind of like the Zune and its because of the screen, I may pick one up soon to try it, and if it was for anything I'd vote for the Zune.

norton23

Opie And Anthony Always Win In The End
Dec 1, 2002
TITLE TOWN BABY!!!
Im digging this fucker back up because it's time for the x-mas list to go out,,,,,,

touch screen I-pod

vs

zune

Im stuck and don't kow which to pick